When you provide a fitting service in your lingerie shop it’s important that it doesn’t get in the way of your business, your sales and ultimately your profit.
Why offer a bra fitting service?
A fitting service is there to enhance the service you offer and ensure you improve your long term business by ensuring your customers return time & time again. Once your “fitter” has a customer happy and pleased with her new silhouette and body shape, she is more likely to return, which is what you want. You don’t want to take advantage but merely to take the opportunity of maximizing the sale, after all customers are valuable and you want to keep them coming back.
A perfect example of how to do this is by becoming a local “specialist” retailer. Some assiduous brands currently offer extensive expert training in both mastectomy & maternity products and related fitting processes thus allowing the retailer to offer a dedicated service to women, creating unparalleled customer loyalty.
Another reason for considering diversifying into this specialist area is that other areas of the business that used to be considered as niche, such as large cup sizes or small back sizes, are now increasingly common place and no longer offer stores any individuality, so stores need to work harder and push boundaries and increase skill set and knowledge to stand out.
So let’s summarise the bra fitting priorities
- Get your staff well trained and regularly trained, either by using one of the different “free” courses, run by lingerie brands or use an independent specialist who offers bra fitting training, who will train you with all your different lingerie branded products. After all it is so important that your fitters fully understand each brand, the different shapes and how they fit.
- Do it properly or do not do it at all. Be clear, you offer a bra fitting service not a measuring service. There is a significant difference. You will fit the customer in a bra that fits her body shape, during a private personal process, NOT measure her body with an often inaccurate measurement so she can go elsewhere to buy an ill-fitting bra.
- Ensure your staff members understand the purpose of fitting and serving a customer; to increase and generate multiple sales and add on purchases. This in itself is a training day and course. How do your staff members introduce the add-on sale, such as a piece of shapewear, hosiery or matching briefs? That’s a skill in itself.
- Promote your fitting service and skills. Ask for testimonials from your customers and put them on your website or on fitting leaflets that you can distribute.
- Offer regular “free” fitting events. Make them fun and enjoyable, the talk of the town.
- When you have your customer in the fitting room, make the most of it. After all, all your customer wants is a comfortable bra that fits, how difficult is that?
If you don’t know where to start looking for a suitable bra fitting course for your lingerie personnel, you can start with Intimate Apparel. We offer a foundation bra fitting course and other courses and we can also come to your premises and train up to six of your staff. Follow the links to our foundation bra fitting courses and additional bra fitting courses. Call us for more information on any of our bra fitting courses on 01702 291524.